Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A good day

Yes, I know you want updates and pictures from the past two months. I will get to that soon (hopefully). But for now... just a little insight into what's been going on recently.

We've been renovating (our home and lives). We are trying to stay healthy, but have been picking up little illnesses here and there. Adam had strep (twice in row) and Zachary had ear infections (twice in a row). Nothing serious, but worrisome nonetheless. For the first time since the new year both boys have been off meds this week. But then we got hit with the news of Lauren. I have been terrified and worried-- and a little more on the edge about the boys. Luckily Lauren seems to now be on the uprise (for those who don't believe in the power of prayer... how wrong you are!) But my edginess wore off on the boys.

When Zachary wouldn't sleep and kept waking up every hour screaming "ow, ow", we thought something must be wrong. He's had drainage and is getting in his molars (all of them). We gave him some Tylenol, rubbed Orajel on his teeth, put a hot rag on his forehead, rocked him for hours, gave him a popsicle... nothing worked. So off to the doctor I went. I planned to drop Adam off at school so I wouldn't have to take him with me to the germ infested doctor office. But of all the days, he decided to do his best turtle impression that day and was moving as slow as molasses. So away I went, running behind, with both boys in tow.

The boys are quite aware that they are not allowed to touch anything at the doctor's office, but Adam thought it fun to play a teaser game in which he would inch closer and closer to the toys waiting to see how close he could get before I would say something. Then we get into the exam room and Adam decides he no longer wants to be a turtle... but perhaps a hyena and runs around crazily climbing up onto a little bench. The doctor comes in and begins to ask me questions and look at Zachary. About this time, Adam jumps from the bench and hits his head against the wall. So the doctor and I rush to him and look him over for scrapes and bumps. He is crying hysterically, Zachary is crying, I feel the tears welling in my eyes as well.

All seemed okay with Adam and the doctor reports... Zachary seems fine as well. No ear infection, no strep, just a runny nose and those pesky molars. So away I go... thankful the boys are okay, but a little frustrated that I brought them to begin with... am I really that edgy that I run them off to the doctor with the littlest whimper?

As we get in the car the boys are still both whining non-stop. Adam is now upset that he didn't get a toy at the doctors and must go to school. I carry them into school and as I leave to try to make my meeting at work-- I get a quick pick-me-up hug from one of the boys dear teachers.

After another crazy day at work, I head to pick the boys up... my favorite time of the day. But I guess they still had not forgiven me for the morning. The avalanche of tears begins again. With a little help from the same teacher who had given me the hug, I finally pull the kids from school and get them buckled in their seats. Adam- angry that I won't let him watch a DVD in the car is now screaming at the top of his lungs "I'll stop crying, I'll stop crying." And Zachary- I'm sure exhausted from only 2 hours of sleep, is also part of the noise.

I turn to the boys' teacher and let out an exasperated "thank you" for her help. She mentions that she looks forward and hopes to have a big family with perhaps five kids one day, but knows there will be bad days like this at times. And as the boys wail in the backseat, I say to her (and after the difficulties we have faced in the past week I mean this more than ever)...

"There are NO bad days. Every day is a good day. Some are just better than others."

No comments: