Friday, May 8, 2009

Send in the Clowns

Family... it is a simple word with a lot of meaning. The Merriam Webster online dictionary lists at least 10 different definitions. To me a family consists of those that have an unyielding and unending love for one another. Sometimes they are "family" in the traditional sense as they share a common ancestry, but sometimes... that's not the case.

My mother has had her share of ups and downs with her family. I can't really say that many of my aunts and uncles, my mother's sisters and their families, have that unyielding and unending love for me- perhaps this is why it is SO important for me and my siblings to stay close to one another. But there are two people from my mother's side of the family that I know without a doubt do have that special love. Gordon and Betsy were my grandparent's best friends. And although not "technically" ancesters, I consider them my third set of grandparents and part of my family none the less. I have so many special memories of these two. Too many to name.

Gordon would always make me feel so wonderful as he would tell me how beautiful I am. Betsy always brought a smile to my face with her tender way of caring. Gordon and I used to always joke about how, one day, he and I would marry (Betsy would just roll her eyes at us), and he kidded me when I found and married Joe. But he loved Joe as well and the two of them were like best friends. In fact at Ragan's wedding I became angered when every time I turned around, I couldn't find Joe. Of course, when I learned he was out on the patio talking with Betsy and Gordon... I couldn't stay angry long.

A few short year's ago my Papa and Gordon's best friend passed away. Papa's funeral was a wonderful sentiment, although, in some ways, I felt it didn't really portray the Papa I knew. Tired and upset out in the church courtyard, Gordon and I talked about the Papa that we remembered. Standing outside recalling all the memories, as butterflies fluttered around us, I felt a peace come over me. Gordon spoke briefly of his own passing. And said that his funeral was going to be fun so we better all be there. He wanted a party... and maybe some clowns. He had this crazy way of making you laugh, even when you felt you were uncapable of a simple smile.

What a true friendship looks like...
Betsy passed away at the end of last year and this past Tuesday my third grandfather, Gordon, left us to be with his wife, his daughter Cindy, and my grandfather Papa.

I am saddened that I will not be able to make it to Texas today for Gordon's final "party". But plan to sit down tonight and CELEBRATE with Joe and the boys.

Me and my Gordon (and Papa in the back) on my wedding day...
Gordon and Betsy-- by God's grace, I will hopefully see you again one day and we will dance with the clowns up in the Heavens.

No comments: