Friday, October 24, 2008

Warning: cell phone use not advised after anesthesia

Joe had his wisdom teeth finally pulled this past Wednesday and when I came to sit with him after the surgery I found him talking on the phone. This was funny for several reasons: 1) I'm not sure why he even had his cell phone with him in the doctors office. 2) He still was not quite awake from the anesthesia. 3) His cheeks were all puffed up and it was difficult to understand him with his swollen and cotton filled mouth. 4) He was talking to... my mom!!

After a long conversation about who knows what, Joe finally hands the phone over to me and I ask- "Who the heck are you talking to?" "Your mom" he says matter of factly as if this is the most normal situation. "My mom? Why are you talking to her?" I ask. "Becuase she answered." "Well who else did you try to call?" "No one. I just called her. I knew she would answer."

The nurses and I discussed what kind of calling this should be. We had heard of "drunk dialing" but what was this supposed to be- "Anesthesia induced Mother-In-Law Talk"?!?

Later when Joe was no longer affected by the anesthesia I asked him once again why he called my mom and what they talked about before I came to sit with him. He said that he just felt like talking to her but couldn't remember exactly what all they talked about. What he was more concerned about-- "Who put my sweatshirt back on me?"

To my husband- one of the things I love about you is your ability to make me laugh!

To my mom- one of the things I love about you is that your always there to answer a call!

2 comments:

Taylor said...

That is freakin' hysterical! I love it!

Ragan said...

This is the BEST story ever! I just can't stop laughing! :)